About the Process
UpTurnships values referrals.
Upon the completion of your application, résumé, and StrengthsFinder, you will be contacted by an interviewer from UpTurnships if we believe UpTurnships is right for you.
Please ensure that you review our qualifications and apply before Friday, October 13th 2017 for round 1, and Friday, January 19th 2018 for round 2. Note that during round 1 we focus on students that will be Juniors the following fall, and for round 2 we consider students in different classes.
Once we’ve received your completed application, you’ll be contacted by a staff representative who will communicate with you and be your first-line contact for any questions you have.
You’ll move through some training and orientation materials, get matched with a mentor, and get connected with some of the top paid internships available in your field.
Ready to apply? Apply now.
Yes, it is very important that you have the appropriate clothes to wear to your interviews. If you do not have an outfit, let your interview coach know and we can assist you with obtaining one at no cost. (Please see the attached page for clothing recommendations.) This will be covered in the on-line training that you will do next.
Generally, we try to place Juniors between October and December. Sophomores and late applicants, between January and March. Each employer is driven by their budget and calendar, so they vary in timing.
You will be contacted by phone within a few business days. If it is determined you are NOT a fit for our program, you will be given specific feedback by one of the coaches. If you are recommended for the program:
- You will be sent a link to our online training program that will teach you how to set up your phone message and email signature, refine your resume, and provide interviewing tips.
- Once you have completed the training, you will be assigned to a coach who will meet with you in person to go over your resume and discuss potential jobs.
- We will create a promotion sheet for you. This sheet will include your photo, StrengthsFinders results, and personal highlights.
- If you need an interview outfit, we will assist you with obtaining the appropriate clothing.
- Once you and your coach have identified the jobs you would like to pursue, your resume and promotion sheet will be sent to those employers.
- You will by contacted to set up an interview with the employers that are interested in you as a candidate.
- Each candidate’s experience with the interviewing process varies. The timing and number of interview also varies. Your coach will work with you throughout the process and be available to answer any questions you may have.
The phone interview is the first step toward becoming an UpTurn. If you are found to be a qualified candidate, you will be sent on to the next step in the process. This step consists of refining your resume and preparing for in-person interviews. The final step is to secure an internship through the process of interviewing. These interviews will be with companies that have committed to working with us and have designated internships specifically for the UpTurnships program. Once you have been “hired” by one of the companies, you are officially in the program.
Statistically, students who secure an internship without the help of a program like UpTurnships, average 8 interviews to get 1 position (8:1 ratio). For students in the UpTurnships program, the average is better than 2:1.
It’s the students responsibility on agreed upon items, and to periodically check in with the same person who interviewed them. So make sure you have their contact information.
Employers dictate the requirements, and most of them require US citizenship. However, if you are in the process of securing your US citizenship, please apply.
Yes, as long as you are not a graduating senior next summer.
Upon the completion of your application, resume, and StrengthsFinder, 1. You will be contacted by an interviewer from UpTurnships to review your application; and to discuss your SF skills. 2. Prior to your interview, read the UpTurnships overview, and form questions to ask your interivewer about the UpT training program, or internships. 3. Typically candidates need to work with us to revise and target your resume. 4. Select potential positions from the system and interview with a potential employer. 5. Upon receiving a job offer, you will be in the UpTurnships class.
There are two steps in the interview process: 1. the UpTurnships interview will be scheduled once you complete the application, SF and resume, it will trigger a notice to call you to screen you over the phone (or Skype). 2. Once the UpTurnships interviewer has confirmed you are ready, you will be able to select from a pool of potential employer positions. If the potential employer selects you, you will be contacted by them to make arrangements for an interview.
It’s not required, but it will differentiate you from other candidates.
Yes, the application will save all completed items.