The average pay is around $14.00/hour. That said, we cannot dictate the hourly pay, as each company sets their own rates to be fair and equitable to ALL their interns. UpTurnships does require a minimum of $10/hour. The program is unique in that our Partner Employers will pay you for the time spent working AND for the time spent in training.
Although there is no typical day, here are some things that occur throughout the program:
- The program will run from May 22-August 16 2019 at Augsburg University.
- “Up” Front training will be May 22-31. Training will take place from 8:30-4:30.
- The first day at your Internships will be June 3
- Every week, you will go to your internship Monday-Thursday, returning to Augsburg for UpTurnships training on most Fridays
- The program will finish on August 16th, 2019
Generally, we try to place Juniors between October and December. Sophomores and late applicants, between January and March. Each employer is driven by their budget and calendar, so they vary in timing.
You will be contacted by phone within a few business days. If it is determined you are NOT a fit for our program, you will be given specific feedback by one of the coaches. If you are recommended for the program:
- You will be sent a link to our online training program that will teach you how to set up your phone message and email signature, refine your resume and provide interviewing tips.
- Once you have completed the training, you will be assigned to a coach who will meet with you in person to go over your resume and discuss potential jobs.
- We will create a promotion sheet for you. This sheet will include your photo, CliftonStrengths results, and personal highlights.
- Once you and your coach have identified the jobs you would like to pursue, your resume and promotion sheet will be sent to those employers.
- You will be contacted to set up an interview with the employers that are interested in you as a candidate.
- Each candidate’s experience with the interviewing process varies. The timing and number of interviews also vary. Your coach will work with you throughout the process and be available to answer any questions you may have.
Statistically, students who secure an internship without the help of a program like UpTurnships, average 8 interviews to get 1 position (8:1 ratio). For students in the UpTurnships program, the average is better than 2:1. Once you have been “hired” by one of the companies, you are officially in the program.
Craig Britton is the lead coach and program coordinator. Please complete our volunteer interest form, or if you have questions, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-599-9402.
UpTurnships is a volunteer run and volunteer driven organization with a passion for helping under-resourced, diverse college students become the best new hires. Our volunteers will tell you the students are amazing, the volunteers inspiring, and that they can see they make a difference as a volunteer. Read a few of our many volunteer stories.
UpTurnships is planning to expand to two groups of UpTurns in 2018. Additional volunteers for all roles are needed. Most urgent are 1) primary coaches for summer 2018, 2) subject matter experts for training during late May and early June, 2018, 3) volunteers for sudent applicant screening and resume preparation this Sep-Nov, 2018, and 4) developing the system for scaling our curriculum and coaching delivery (Aug-Oct, 2018).
Volunteers actually deliver the vast majority of the UpTurnships program. There are many roles available. Volunteer roles vary depending on the time of year. We highly value diversity of volunteers – in race and ethnicity, in professional experience and skills, in thinking. Below are specific roles, the time of year this role is needed (which varies), and the general time commitment for each role.
1) Interview and screen student applicants to the UpTurnships Program (8 days, Aug – Nov. Volunteers are needed 4-8 hours for each day of interviews. Volunteers may select 1 or more interview dates.)
2) Coach student applicants on resume’ building for internships (4-6 sessions, Aug – Nov. Volunteers are needed 2-4 hours for each resume building session. Volunteers may select 1 or more resume building sessions.)
3) Coach student applicants on interviewing for internships (4-6 sessions, Aug – Nov. Volunteers are needed 2-4 hours for each interview preparation session. Volunteers may select 1 or more interview preparation sessions.)
4) Recruit employers who will provide internships. Volunteers build relationships with company’s HR departments and identify champions who will support UpTurnship. The recruiting calendar starts in July and goes as late as February of the following year. The time commitment is not perfectly predictable, and can range from 2-15 hours per week. The most intensive time is August – November. (Contact Julie Burrows for additional information.)
5) Subject Matter Experts – train UpTurns in specific soft business skill areas (2-4 hours in-class training plus preparation time, Late May – Mid-August. Most training is completed in late May and early June.) Subject matter experts teach subjects such as business etiquette, Strengthsfinders 2.0, business writing, public speaking, problem solving, project management, networking, interview preparation, and career path planning. Link to 2018 UpTurnships Program Calendar.
6A) Act as a primary coach to UpTurns helping them succeed in their internships and define their career path forward (8-12 days, June – Mid-August. Coaches primarily work with UpTurns 8 Fridays between early June and mid-August. Coaches also commit to act as mentors after the program for a period of 1-2 years. Coach training is two days in early June.) Two coaches are assigned to an UpTurn group of 5-7 students for the duration of the summer program. Contact Craig Britton for additional details.
6B) Act as a substitute coach when primary coaches cannot be available (, Fridays, June – Mid-August) Many primary coaches also still work professionally, and occasionally substitute coaches are needed. Substitute coaches can participate for 2-3 hours up to a full day on the day they substitute. Contact Craig Britton for additional details.
7) Coach UpTurns on career path options in specific functional areas (2 hours, mid-August). Conduct workshops on potential career pathsin different functional areas, such as finance/accounting, marketing, business analytics, operations, HR, etc.
8) Conduct 30-minute mock interviews with 6-8 UpTurns (Mid-August).
9) Participate in a speed networking event, helping UpTurns build their professional networks (Mid-August).
10) Help support and maintain UpTurnships software systems – web site, CRM, applicant management, document management. (Year ’round) Contact Craig Britton or Marshall Mullet for more information.
11) Donor and grant development (Year ’round) Help coordinate donor drives and events, identify potential grantors, or complete grant applications. Contact Craig Britton for more information.
12) Curriculum strategy and delivery planning. (Aug – Nov). Assist in adapting our current curriculum, calendar and delivery to a system that is scalable to multiple classes of UpTurns. Contact Craig Britton for additional information.
There are two costs involved. The first costs is paid to the intern. You are the employer and hire the intern. We require that interns are paid at least $10/hour for thirteen weeks in the summer. This time includes both time at the internship and time at the UpTurnships’ training days. The second cost is a participation fee paid to Upturnships. This is a fee that supports the recruiting of candidates and development of the training program. Please contact your UpTurnships’ representative to confirm the fee in your industry.
One interview outfit is available to men and women, referred to by UpTurnships. Your coach interview coach will help you with this process.
It’s the students responsibility on agreed upon items, and to periodically check in with the same person who interviewed them. So make sure you have their contact information.
Business attire is appropriate. Women: a dress, skirt, nice slacks, conservative top / jacket & moderate accessories. Men: Plain shirt and slacks, jacket or tie (a suit is not required, but if you have one – wear it).
No, there are some jobs available in the TC (vs. suburbs), but that will limit the # of jobs to which you can apply.
Yes! However, you must be legally able to work in the US.
Qualifications for application:
- Highly motivated
- Primarily responsible for college tuition and costs
- Preference is given to students who are:
- Referred by UpTurnships Partner or Alum
- 1st generation college students
- English as a 2nd language
- College Juniors & Sophomores only
- US citizen or legally able to work in the US in the summer of 2019. International students have opportunities in Analytics’ internship
Yes, as long as you are not a graduating senior next summer.
Business majors, i.e. finance, accounting, IT, HR, Supply Chain, Operations, Analytics/math; Marketing, Sales, Graphics, Communications.
We are seeking candidates who are sophomores and juniors at the time of application. You must be anticipating graduation between December 2019 and June 2021
STEP 1: APPLY! This includes completing the online application and uploading your resume, photo and indicating your Top 5 Strengths
STEP 2: Once we’ve received your completed application, you’ll receive a link to set up a 60-minutes phone screen with a coach who will discuss your application, and area of interest. Your point of contact for any questions will be Marianne Malko: email@example.com
STEP 3: Once your phone screen is completed, you will be assigned an Interviewing Coach and you’ll complete online training on resume writing, interviewing and key soft skills that increase your success at securing an internship.
STEP 4: Review jobs and discuss opportunities with your Interviewing Coach. Then you’ll be set up with interviews for internships.
There are two steps in the interview process:
1. The UpTurnships phone interview will be scheduled once you complete the application,( includes CliftonStrengths, resume and photo).
2. Once the UpTurnships interviewer has confirmed you are ready, you will be able to select from a pool of potential employer positions. If the potential employer selects you, you will be contacted by them to make arrangements for an interview.
It’s not required, but it will differentiate you from other candidates.
You cannot be interviewed until your are ready with all components, so only submit your final resume. This minimizes the time to coach you during the interview, thus reducing the time needed.
By using this 3rd party, credible source, we help candidate learn how to talk about their talents and skills to a potential employer.
No. You must provide your Top 5 Strengths in order to submit your application.
No, not for UpTurnships, but some employers have a GPA requirement.
Yes, the application will save all completed items.
A rough estimate based on your current debt x number of years left in college, minus any adjustments of income / grants etc…
If you have secured scholarships, or you are working to pay for expenses, or responsible for a college loan – that total is attributed to you. The balance is the amount your parents pay.
All UpTurnships’ candidates come from our long-term, trusted sources who have a proven record of sending us motivated, high potential applicants. The large majority of our candidates attend Minnesota Private Colleges. While we continually review sources, we are not adding additional colleges for 2018.
We accept strong referrals for candidates that are highly motivated. Space is limited as we plan for 2018 so please discuss your needs with your UpTUrnships contact or contact info@UpTurnships.com.
We aim for at least 3 solid candidates for each job, but often have more qualified candidates. We discuss the process and number of candidates with you prior to sending you resumes.
We welcome our partner employers’ requests to share open positions with our Alumni network. Just send these requests to your UpTurnships contact or info@UpTurnships.com.
You are at liberty to make arrangements to work with the intern after the UpTurnships’ summer program. Most UpTurns receive offers to continue working into the fall.
No, we are only a summer training program at this time. However, we can refer you to an alum of the program for spring internships or full-time hires
You will have a chance to discuss your needs upfront, prior to our Match Team sending you qualified candidates.
We recruit motivated students interested in business careers. We see majors in Economics, Business (Marketing, Analytics, Finance/Accounting, Management, Operations/Supply Chain), Stem (Math, Statistics) and Liberal Arts.
We seek students who must have a paid internship in the summer. Most in our group pay for 80-100% of college costs through work/work study, scholarships, and student loans. 77% are people of color, 35% are first generation college students and 27% have English as a 2nd language.